Sunday, March 15, 2009

Slowly the pen touches paper

Warning, long introductory post incoming.

I have been toying around with the idea of a blog for a while now, unsure of the prospect. I've had an account here on Blogger since the beginning of the year, originally drawn to it by the fact that the front-man of my favorite band, Coheed and Cambria, had started posting entries here (you can find Claudio's blog at myshittalkingmachine.blogspot.com), but could not find the drive to begin my own.

First off, who was going to read it? I had no friends with accounts on Blogger, and I knew of only one blog that I was interested in. Second, was I prepared to tie myself down to my own blog, because if I did create one I would feel obligated to post here at least periodically to satisfy my belief that I had a reason in having my own blog.

Well, the first condition was crossed off when I found out that a friend named Tara (you can find her blog at taragentry.blogspot.com), who I had recently met, had her own blog here. She was the one who brought me back to considering creating this. I crossed off the second condition when I decided that I could hold myself to posting a new entry at least once a week, that couldn't be too hard could it? I won't guarantee that I do keep to that promise, but I can try my hardest!

So that's how I came to the conclusion that I could contentedly create "Slowly the Pen Touches Paper." Any big Coheed and Cambria fan out there will know that the title comes from the beginning of their song "The Light & The Glass," which happens to be my favorite of theirs. I thought it fit well with what I was doing here, although ironically, I'm not using a pen.

Before I started this first entry, I was wondering what I could talk about, and although this post is already growing long enough, I thought I would just give whoever happens to read this an update on what I have been doing, and what I will hopefully be doing soon.

I'm a student in my senior year of high school, and spring break has just started. I'm glad I have this break, but I know senioritis will just be even worse when I return to school. Only two and a half months left. I will be attending the University of Texas in Austin come Fall of this year.

I enjoy many things, ranging from movies to video games (okay that's not that large of a range), but my main interest is music. I love all genres of music, excluding rap and country. My current favorite bands as of now are previously mentioned Coheed and Cambria, and Eisley. I have also just discovered a band by the name of Ruby Coast who I am really getting into. By the way, discovering a new amazing band is one of the most exciting experiences I can have, so if you have a band that I need to check out, post it in a comment. I may or may not have already discovered them, and I'll try to get back to you on whether or not I enjoyed them.

Let's see, what else. I just attended a concert with Tokyo Police Club, Ra Ra Riot, and Ruby Coast. I went for TPC and Ra Ra Riot, but this is the concert where I first heard Ruby Coast. I proceeded to buy their EP "Projectable Collections" after the show. Not too long before that, in February, I was at a Flogging Molly concert. I live in Texas, and hopefully in April I will be driving up to Baylor to see Eisley perform a few songs off of their upcoming album, and I will also be driving up to Austin on May 1 to see Death Cab for Cutie and Ra Ra Riot. One of my biggest disappointments is that I missed Coheed and Cambria's Neverender series of shows in which they played all four of their albums in succession at four different venues, located in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, and London. Not one near Texas. However, they filmed the shows, and a DVD/CD boxset is being released on March 23, eight days from now. I've had one pre-ordered since December, when they first announced it, so I can't wait for that.

Anyways, I believe I've rambled on long enough. As you can tell, this blog will most likely be mainly about my music interests. If that sounds exciting to you, please keep coming back.

"Slowly the pen touches paper, in the guidance of the words that you write. Memories roll in; of the things you once did and who you had shared them with." -"The Light & The Glass," by Coheed and Cambria

No comments:

Post a Comment